Testing for HIV - Why and How
First, I want to honor the fact that getting tested for HIV is stressful. But, we also know that Knowing is Better; in fact it is a must and can save not only our lives but the lives of others. That is why we urge you to get tested as soon as possible.
Why is testing for HIV sooner rather than later so Important?
Knowing your HIV status, regardless of the result, is a life saver.
- Early detection of HIV infection can lead to a longer and healthier life. Having HIV does not mean that you are going to get sick and die. There is no cure for HIV, but new drugs are available that can help you stay healthy.
- If you know you have HIV, you can take steps to prevent passing HIV to others.
- In case of an HIV negative result, you can make smart decisions about your behavior in order to remain HIV negative.
What you should know about our HIV Testing Services?
- We offer confidential HIV testing,
- At no cost to you; nor do we bill your insurance company.
- We offer HIV testing in more than 20 locations conveniently located near you.
- You can just come in without an appointment or make an appointment if you like.
- The HIV test we offer does not require needles or the drawing of blood.
We do a two step process that uses a sample of oral fluids, which is as reliable as any blood sample test.
HIV Screening: First, we screen for HIV exposure (20 minutes); if the screening is "Reactive" to exposure for HIV then we do a confirmatory test.
Confirmatory Test: The confirmatory test will determine if you have been infected with HIV. The results for this test are usually available within three working days.
If your tests results are…
- Negative, we will continue to support you so that you may remain free of HIV.
- Positive, we will be there for you to support you with accessing prompt medical care and emotional support services.